Monday, April 29, 2013

Resourcefulness

Tony has frequently told me about her abilities, but tonight I got to see them for myself. Our rabbits have reproduced yet again. We have needed to build new boxes for them and get a divider installed. The crazy events in our the house in the last couple of weeks has made that impossible. Today I blew my cool and threatened to get rid of all the bunnies. Cassidi freaked.

Tennis practice was cancelled so she met me at Lowe's. She bought two OSB boards, two 2x2 boards, and wood screws. I brought the six bunnies, two of which she had given away and four that she got the pet store to take. She took care of all of that and we met back at the house.

When I got home she was already setting out everything we would need. She had saw horses, the power saw, a straight edge, and a wood pencil. As soon as we got the wood out she started measuring and we got to cutting. We continued to need different things, and not only did she know where they were, but how to use them. The knowing where it was part is amazing as Tony has every gadget under the sun and everything has its place.

When we were done, she had coordinated the making of the two bunny boxes and a divider that required a creative solution to accomplish. All the gadgets were put back where they belonged, we hadn't lost any fingers or limbs, and everything worked the way it was supposed to. Amazing!

The other part is that she and I didn't fight too terribly badly throughout. When Tony and I work together, at least one of us is ready to kill the other by the time we're done. She has a lot of me in her, but there is plenty of Tony's doing in there. She is very particular in how something should be done like him and the words and phrases she uses sound just like Tony. I had to laugh a time or two tonight as we worked.

Independence is something I've strived the most for in raising our girls. When I told Tony my reaction to her tonight, he said "Her husband is going to hate the fact she's so handy". I guess he knows a little bit about that. He often gets frustrated with me for doing things on my own. I don't hold a candle to what Cass is capable of. More power to the brave soul that takes her on!

No comments:

Post a Comment