Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Laughter

There is no medicine like it. If only they could bottle it up and give to people, it could cure most ailments. If I'm having a grumpy mood day, something funny happens and makes me remember my priorities. Laughter truly is priceless.

I have seen laughter in happy and sad times. On her death bed, Eleanor used it to help carry our hearts through the dark valley. I've seen Tony put a smile on our teenage daughters' faces when they hated the world. Seeing a group of people that love each other reminiscing and laughing fills my heart with joy.

It feels good to laugh. A vigorous laughing session has been proven to tighten and strengthen your abs. We also exchange more oxygen in our lungs even though we gasp for breath on more than one occasion. And the psychological relief it provides through diversion is immeasurable.

Tony tries to pull that trick on me frequently. The whole bait and switch game. He gets me fired up about something and then tries to act cute. Sometimes he escapes unscathed, sometimes not so much. But he's pretty good at extracting a smile even in some of my more furious tantrums.

Some laughter can seem inappropriate. But people process in different ways. Many people use it as a way of avoiding - avoiding conflict, avoiding the feelings that are welling up inside their bodies, avoiding the feelings welling up inside others. For others it's a way to hide their nervousness and anxiety. I try really hard not to judge someone that makes a joke in a difficult situation. I never know what is processing in their heart.

My little family tends to turn to laughter in most every situation. Tony is usually the ring leader. Cassidi isn't far behind him. Jennifer's humor is sometimes a little more cynical. You have to be smart to get her digs sometimes. I get labeled the serious one in the family. Meanwhile, most everyone else thinks I'm funny. I guess someone has to keep the circus under control.

I hope each of you finds something to laugh at on a regular basis. If you struggle with that, I recommend watching America's Funniest Home Videos. That show cracks me up every time. I don't know why it's funny to see people do dumb things and injure themselves, but it is. Seriously, if you haven't watched that show lately and you need a good laugh, find it!

As Charlie Chaplain said, "A day without laughter is a day wasted." Make your days on this Earth count. Laugh it up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment