Thursday, April 11, 2013

Independence

I've always been a "I can do it myself" kind of girl. I drove my Mom crazy I know by insisting on making my own way, and thus, my own mistakes. I've raised both my girls to be just as independent. And now they're driving me crazy!

Because Cassidi is so much like me, she's a lot easier to read. Jennifer on the other hand, is a piece of work. The majority of the time I understand her, but she doesn't want to be understood. She wants to be a unique individual. I think sometimes she changes her mind as soon as I state my opinion on something related to her just so I won't be right. Stubbornness is another trait that goes along with being independent!

Today I was thinking about Jennifer and the roads she has traveled. When she finished college, she hopped a plane to Utah for a job interview with a one way ticket and a week's worth of clothes in a back pack. She had no idea who she was meeting or where they were taking her. It all worked out well, but gosh knows she gave me a lot of gray hair while she was out there.

She's lived in two separate places since she's moved back to the East coast. She manages to meet people and build a life amongst strangers. Sometimes she struggles with meeting people, but for the most part she manages just fine. She's the more social of the two, and I dare to say that she could live anywhere and find a way to fit in.

Cassidi on the other hand is more of a hermit. She barely tolerates large groups of people and draws inward when faced with meeting someone new. She did great when we moved up here, but struggled at times. Sometimes I worry how college will go for her, but I keep reminding myself that she's adaptable and will be just fine.

I'm proud of the independence my girls have learned and shown over the years. I'm not going to be here forever, and knowing they can survive on their own gives me a great deal of peace of mind. I guess in that regard, I did my job as Mom fairly well. I hope it's something they will teach their children when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment