Sunday, April 21, 2013

Countdown

April 18th came and went. It's not that the date is special in any way. It just marks one month until graduation. It definitely made me catch my breath when I said it out loud.

From here everything is a count down. Yesterday, I sat down and put all the activities of this last month on my calendar. It seems every day is filled with some kind activity. My energizer bunny is waning, and I keep trying to recharge.

The busy-ness is helping to keep my emotions in check, but it makes me worry that I'm not truly enjoying the experience. My to do list is decreasing, but when I try to think what I've been doing, it's hard to remember. Treadmills have a way of doing that to you.

But then I think of all this last year has held. College visits last summer, nerd camp, basketball, the chase to valedictorian, college acceptances, tennis, prom, and finally graduation. That's a lot of FUN! Trials and tribulations for sure, but so many great memories made. We've had 13 years of this for her. This last month will be a review of all of that.

I'm about to start putting the school years in review scrap book together. Digging through all of her pictures, report cards, awards, and school work papers is overwhelming. It makes me realize that while we're in the countdown of one phase of her life, it's only the beginning of the next chapter. I guess the gut wrenching piece is that we'll be more in the balcony watching her on stage as opposed to front and center.

I keep reminding myself that she's doing exactly what I've raised her to do. To be strong and independent. And that's a good thing - a great thing actually. Okay, enough nostalgia for one night. Back to keeping my eye on the ball and staying focused!

No comments:

Post a Comment