Monday, April 8, 2013

Moments

Some moments are big. Some moments are small. But finding a way to appreciate each is extremely important.

This year has been the biggest of Cassidi's life thus far. Senior year tends to be that way. Having already been through it with Jennifer has taught me to savor every last second. For me, it's also compounded by the fact she's the last one to leave the nest.

I've started working on her scrap books. I have three I'm doing. I've been collecting stuff for years to go in them.

There is the sports book. What an amazing ride her basketball team had last year. That will provide moments to review for years to come for all of us. And then this year she's playing tennis for the first time and having some success. Softball was way back in 8th grade on the JV team. With her going to UVA, I can still cheer GO CAVS! I'll just be dressed in blue and orange vs blue and white.

Another book will be on her entire school years. From the note her first grade teacher sent us that resulted in her first grounding, to her second place finish in Accelerated Reading in 7th grade, to her 7th grade school suspension for "pantsing", to nerd camp in 10th and 11th grade, to valedictorian.  I have collected so much stuff through the years, I hope it will all fit in there.

The last book is something I've been working on each day this school year. It's titled "A Year of Lasts". It is a daily journal where I take her picture every day and then write a blurb about what happens for the day. It includes my thoughts, of course, but it also documents all the things she's been involved in. She has done a great job of seizing the day this year.

But some of the moments I'll remember the most from this year are Monday night home cooked dinners, The Voice  Monday and Tuesdays, the first time she scorched me on the tennis court, and the rare occasions where she opened up and talked about things going on at school and in life. The little moments. They're irreplaceable!

No comments:

Post a Comment