Saturday, January 26, 2013

Tradition


I've just discovered the show Downton Abbey. It's richly steeped in English traditions. I've always loved watching English aristocracy pieces. I have no idea why of course, because I've always been one to buck the system. I think it's the beautiful clothes and lavish lifestyles. The huge houses and the lush furnishings are just unbelievable.

Growing up in an upper lower class family that progressed to a lower middle class family, I was always amazed by "things". I set my goals as a youngster to pursue a life different than what I grew up in. In America that is possible. Watching these shows always reminds me that wasn't the case in England at one time.

When I think of the word tradition I first think of stuffy. It puts me in mind of a strict code of living without variance. With my short attention span, I'd have suffocated in no time in a previous century.

But there are some aspects of tradition that are very appealing. I guess I think of it more in accordance with habits. Of course during the holidays we've established a set of habits we follow in my little family.

We go to the tree farm on Thanksgiving morning to get our Christmas tree. The girls put it up while I cook. It's just a routine we've gotten into and that we like. But with an approaching empty nest, who knows how long that will last.

At our house, traditions evolve quickly. We usually start small and then it grows. And once it gets too big or bulky, it must change. Goodness knows that scarcely qualifies as tradition when I break it down like that.

As I've aged, less is more. After chasing the carrots I dangled in front of myself, I realized the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I no longer have to have something because it's the thing to have. I no longer look at things as a measure of my success, but look more at the memories I've made as the true treasures of life.

And maybe that's what tradition is all about. Establishing routine around the events of our lives to create memories. Memories that happen year after year emblazing them on our hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment