Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Sorrow

I've purposefully delayed writing the word for today. I kept hoping that I'd change my mind on the word that kept coming to mind. I had this continual debate in my head as to whether celebrating such a sad word was appropriate. I finally came to the conclusion that sadness is as much of a part of life as is happiness and deserves to be honored and celebrated equally.

The source of my sorrow today was the tragedy that occurred about a mile from my home. A boy of 12 accidentally shot and killed his dad while deer hunting yesterday evening. My heart just hurts for this young boy. When I told Tony about it, it was as if a light dimmed in him, too.

He's been a hunter since he was a small boy. He can remember numerous hunting adventures with his Dad. The last few years, he's gone up to deer hunt with his Dad in Burke's Garden. He said those are some of the most special memories he has and it's such a bonding experience. Since he doesn't have sons to share it with, he treasures it all the more. I could tell he was retracing their hunts and trying to understand just how heartbreaking this event truly is.

Sorrow is something that we all experience at one point or another in our life and unfortunately many times over usually. The loss of my mom has left a void in my heart that I know will never be filled. It is a deep space that was so debilitating at first, but has now become more tolerable. She died of a heart attack and while too soon, was of natural causes. I cannot imagine what this young boy will face for the rest of his life knowing the part he played.

Throughout the day, I've said numerous prayers for him and his family in coping with their loss. I've begged God to help this young boy in understanding that his dad would never want him to injure himself or limit his happiness in life for what occurred. I cannot even fathom the ache he feels. May God wrap him in his loving arms and guide him to the greatness he is capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment