Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Home


As a kid we moved a lot. Sometimes it was just across town, but most of the time it was to an entirely different state. I learned quickly that home has nothing to do with the physical location of a house, but much more to do with the feelings in your heart.

Tonight I returned to my high school alma mater. The drive there always floods me with memories as I pass places I used to frequent. Even though I was only in Tazewell for two years in high school, it created a lot of lasting impressions. But then again, it could be I was older and can actually remember them.

Since my mom died, my dad has moved from the house that I knew the longest as home. When I dream of being home as a kid, that's the house I'm always in. I miss getting to visit it during the holidays. But like I said, I visit it frequently in my dreams.

I recently realized that the girls remember our house in Charlotte in that same way. Cass often says how she dreams of that house and misses it. She doesn't like the cabin because her room doesn't have a door. The things that seem important to kids always amazes me.

Jennifer doesn't really consider the cabin home. We used to come up just for the holidays. So when she comes in, she thinks it's time for Thanksgiving or Christmas. We've lived here full time now for 6 and a half years, so she's started to warm up to it a bit more.

Establishing a home can be one of the most difficult tasks a person can face. Starting in a new place requires you to incorporate your past with your future. It means you have to understand what makes you who you are. We are always wanting others to know and understand us, but the majority of the time we don't fully know ourselves. The best transitions come once we realize home is truly where the heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment