Thursday, January 3, 2013

Memories

I have memories that date back to being about 3 or 4 years old. Sometimes I don’t know if they are truly my memories or stories my family have told me so many times that I feel like I remember them. Nonetheless, I’ve always cherished memories and the stories told to pass them down.

Today would have been my high school best friend’s 44th birthday. Kelly Combs Necessary was quite a character. I wrote a tribute to her in a previous blog (Goodbye is the hardest thing to say, and harder yet to feel) back in February 2010 after we lost her. We created a lot of good memories back in the day! I miss her and often wonder what adventures she’d be getting into if she were still with us.

Another way I capture memories is with a camera. To try and enjoy Cassidi’s senior year to the fullest, I started a daily journal for her. I take her picture each day before school and then write a little blurb about what went on for the day. In 10 years she’s going to look back on it and love having those memories captured forever!

Memories are an amazing thing. The can be triggered by the simplest of things. Sometimes I can smell something and it takes me back to a specific moment in time as if I were right there. Or I can hear a song and be 16 again. It’s wonderful how it works!

Another interesting thing about memories is that we each have our own perception of them. Two people can have an interaction and walk away with two totally different memories. So much of our mind is controlled by our emotions and the circumstances we are in at that time of our life.
Cassidi just asked me last night why I ask so many questions. I think that’s the answer. I try to understand what’s going through people’s heads to know how it’s going to affect their memories of events, especially Cassidi! I know she wishes I’d just go away and leave her alone. But when I really want her to remember something, I dig and dig hoping it will help settle the thought for the long term.

I’m finding that the older I get, the worse my memory is becoming. I really wish some brainiac would invent the notepad feature that I have on my iPad to reside in my head. That way, when I think of something, it’s written down. And then when I need to remember, I just have to click on the note. How cool would that be?! And I have an even better feature I’d like to request. When I think of something that needs to be done, I can just think about doing it, and voila, it’s done! Now that would REALLY rock!

But back to the point - memories. Whether they are your own or someone else’s, they are cherished experiences of your life that no one can ever take away. They live in your heart and soul and are readily available. They are how we keep our loved ones close to us even when they are no longer with us physically. I hope you’ll go out and make a wonderful memory today that you will carry in your heart for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment