Sunday, January 27, 2013

History

I have loved history for as long as I can remember. I was always enthralled with archeology and exploring how those before us lived. When I first went to college, I wanted to study archeology and write history books and encyclopedias.

My mom loved history, too. And I can't tell you how many times I found my dad reading an encyclopedia when I was growing up. I never could understand his interest, but now that I'm older, I totally get it. I can't watch tv without having a computer with the Internet close by. Me a google and Wikipedia are great friends!

Other favorites are The Discovery channel, the Biography channel, and National Geographic. So much information available so freely and easily. Many a time, I'm eagerly watching a story and Tony is snoring in the background (sort of like right now as we're watching a show on Columbus). He claims its the fire warming his feet, but I know better!

In raising the girls I've tried to share my love of history. We've gone to many museums and historical areas. I don't think they've caught the bug just yet. Hopefully one of these days.

One of the things I like in looking back is to see how much progress we have made. Some of the things seem like progress, and some things I wish we're still like they once were. And many times I wonder just what our forefathers would think of today's age if they could have somehow traveled forward in time. I'm sure I would think the same for the future that lays ahead.

I think my love of history is what makes me love to write. If I can document my story and the lives of those around me, there will be something to look back on. While I don't play a vital role in the grand scheme of things, my life will have meaning to those that follow in my family. Maybe my great, great, great granddaughter will read my ramblings and understand more about her own character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment