Friday, January 18, 2013

Dad


Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad. Being a tomboy, I always wanted to be a boy growing up. I wanted to be just like my dad. Many of the things I learned from him stick with me today.

For my 15th birthday, he gave me a shot gun. He didn't do the normal kind of gift wrapping. I remember one Christmas he gave my mom a piece of jewelry and wrapped it in box after box with the last one being covered in tape and wouldn't let her use a knife or scissors. Always the comedian. Sometimes she didn't always appreciate his brand of humor.

My gun also had a unique wrapper. I didn't always make my bed before I went to school, much to mom's disliking. That day was no different. The entire day went by, and  I didn't have a gift from Dad. That wasn't out of the ordinary as he usually just let mom take care of that stuff. So I wasn't expecting anything.

That night when I got into bed, I felt something cold on my leg. Being petrified of snakes, I hopped out of that sucker at the speed of light. I let out a howl, but no one came running. So, I investigated and sure enough found my gun. I went and thanked him and ogled over my new toy. He and mom were laughing of course. It was a 20 gauge for our squirrel hunts. I still have that gun and notched 9 squirrels in my belt with it. I have a lot of great memories from our hunting excursions on the ridge.

Dad was always the prankster. I picked a lot of that up from him. He'd hide behind doors and scare us. Mom also had a fear of snakes and one time he put a fake rubber one under her pillow. She stood at the top of the steps and threw every pair of shoes in the house at his head when he stuck it around the corner. I can remember that like it was yesterday and that had to have been at least 40 years ago. My poor mom took the brunt of his jokes. Especially when I got a little older and braver. I'd try one of his jokes on her, but it never went over quite as well.

I attribute my hard work ethic to Dad, too. I can remember times where he'd work 36 hour shifts and come home exhausted. He never complained, but would head straight for bed. He worked diligently and rarely missed a day of work. He was a wonderful example to follow.

I think I also got my short attention span as far as careers go from him, too. He switched careers frequently and at one point had a managerial job with G.E. He travelled a lot with that job, and I would cry when he left AND when he got home. I'm still not sure where I got my crybaby gene though.

He had a couple of his own businesses along the way. One was a body shop. His work was impeccable, and he always kept things tidy.  Everything had its place and he knew if anyone had touched his tools. One time when I was very little he blew my dress up with the air hose. It was a game we played every time I visited.

When I got older, I'd go out and watch him work. Sometimes he'd tell me a wrench or screw driver he'd need, and I'd get it. If i brought the wrong one, he'd curse and send me back. I tried my best to learn the names of each. I'm still pretty handy at fixing things even today.  Lots of memories in that garage. I can still smell his shop if I think hard enough about it. 

Dad is also a very black and white type of person. While I try to see some shades of gray, my vision still tends to focus on black and white, too. Being a libra, I can see both sides of a coin. But because of his tutelage, I can quickly decipher which side I prefer and go with it.

Dad was always honest and straight forward in his business dealings. He was also very matter of fact. He didn't talk much (uh, I definitely am not like him in this regard as I got my mom's gift of gab) and liked to spend a lot of time alone thinking and working. Gosh knows I drove him crazy with all my questions and comments.

A daddy is always a little girl's hero, and my dad was no exception to that rule. I wanted to grow up and marry a man just like him. I think I came pretty doggone close with Tony. Today (actually yesterday since its after midnight) is his 73rd birthday. Happy birthday Dad. You set a high standard for me to live up to, and I try to follow your example every day. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment