Sunday, January 6, 2013

Motivation


Some are self motivated, some take prodding. Some have stick to it-ness, some not so much. It's hard to know why one person has the ability to start something and finish it, and another struggles. There are so many variables, it's impossible to decipher.

Personally, I'm motivated by the competitiveness of a situation. It may be because I'm the youngest of five or that my closest sibling in age is a brother 4 years older than me, and I was determined to keep up with him. Or it might be that my dad always pitted me against  a classmate or someone on the opposite team in sports. But I always  see the challenges waved in front of me like a red cape. I charge every time.

Some of my bull headed ness has been passed on to my girls. But I don't think they are as self motivated as they could be. But then again, it's all relative. I don't think todays generation has much motivation at all. Unfortunately in the quest to provide our children more than we had, we have over done it.

I often equate the situation to feeding wild animals. If you feed them, they forget how to hunt for themselves. If we constantly provide for others, they never learn how to on their own. And what will happen when those who provide are gone?  It's something our country as a whole obviously is struggling to answer econimically.

But I'm getting sidetracked yet again. Motivation, that's the word at hand. I've found that if you're trying to get a thing accomplished, it's best to break it down into its lowest common denominator. What do I want to do, why do I want to do it, and what is going to happen if I don't get it accomplished? In most cases the answer to those questions is all the motivation you need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment