Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Quilting

I finally jumped on the project of Cass' t-shirt quilt. I need to knock on wood here, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how things are falling together. I did run out of interfacing and had to run out to get more. But the pieces have all come together well.

I've only had to tear out three seams so far. For two of them, I think the white border I'm using was wrong side out. But it's hard to tell since there isn't any sheen to it. It's just white cotton. I could have left them probably, but then I know I'd always question it. And the other was a row that my machine for hung up for some reason. Not so bad for someone that only sews once in blue moon.

My Mom was a quilter. Of course I've been thinking of her a lot today. She always made a quilt for each grandchild when they graduated high school. Cass has a couple she had made her when she was a kid. That was the biggest reason I decided to do this quilt. If Mom can't be here, I felt the need to step into her shoes for this one.

I also did some reminiscing of the sports that these t-shirts represent. I have traveled all over the place  wearing some of them. I cheered, laughed, cried, and fussed all along the way. At the end of it all, I loved watching her and her teammates play. When it's done, it will encompass far more than the material it's made of.

I had to use some of my own shirts, because Cass refused to give up hers. I begged and begged, but she wasn't budging. I got about 5 or 6 from her. I kept telling her she'll have this quilt forever, whereas one of these days she won't fit into the shirts anymore. She wasn't hearing any of that.

Once I finish this project, I have to get focused on her two scrap books. These were the projects that I let slide when I ran out of time at the end of the school year. Now that we are home for the summer, I should be able to get them accomplished easily enough. I like being able to do them without a countdown looming.

Mom always liked sewing and quilting. She also crocheted. Maybe I'll add that to my list of things to tackle next. I know it's hard on your hands, and I've already abused mine enough with massage. We'll have to see how that one goes. I like doing things my Mom did. It gives me an opportunity to think of her and appreciate her efforts. Gosh knows I didn't show her that appreciation enough while she was here. Maybe doing these things is my way of honoring her and carrying on her memory.

This quilt might be blocks of fabric sewn together by thread, but I'm adding a lot of love and memories. I hope it is something she will cherish for the rest of her life. While her Mamaw couldn't sew it for her, mom's hands are guiding me. Maybe that's why it's going so smoothly. An angel's touch is miraculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment