Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Deja Vu

A year ago, Rafa lost in round two of Wimbledon. This year it was round one. It's amazing how sad I can feel for someone that I only know through a tv screen. I love watching tennis. But the truth is I love watching Rafa play.

While he was gone last year, I didn't turn tennis on. The ache of not seeing him on court was miserable. I have this sinking feeling that he's going to be out again for an extended period. His body is just not what it used to be.

I know I need to find a new wagon to hitch my tennis horse to. But for the life of me I just can't latch on to any of these new players. They are all like so many of the athletes these days. Beating their chests and touting their greatness. The chilvary that tennis has always been about has fallen by the wayside.

I hope Rafa gets better soon. And I'm even open to letting him retire and enjoy the rest of his life without tennis. He's served the sport well.  I cried the day Martina Navratilova left. I know I will, too, when Rafa goes. Maybe there is yet another great waiting to show themselves. And when they do, I'll be sure to be watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment