Friday, June 21, 2013

Connections

In the line of work I do, I make connections with people on a regular basis. I'm not just talking physical connections, but spiritual. For me, these are the most meaningful, and important. When I was in massage training, they taught us about setting boundaries and honoring them. One of the key items was blocking energy and not taking on other people's junk.

I've been doing this for 8 years now. I have to admit I'm better at blocking some days than others. And better at blocking with some people more than others. I feel the pain that is in their body, and do my best to remove it. And unfortunately there are times when I think I try to carry it for them.

But in order to truly help people, I feel it's necessary to know my clients. I ask a lot of questions looking for clues that have led to their physical pain. And sometimes, the pain they are holding is emotional. I'm not a psychologist, so ethically I'm prohibited from going there. But sometimes I need to know that a certain event in their life is what is causing them to hold on to the tension in their body.

While I can't "fix" their emotional needs, sometimes it just takes someone listening to them to let it go. I've heard many a tale in my massage room. And what is said in the massage room, stays in the massage room. I've laughed, cried, and been silent with many clients. It is a special gift I feel God has given me to be there for people. I'm am so appreciative that he chose me for this profession. I am truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment