Saturday, June 1, 2013

Hiking

Today I was reminded yet again that "I ain't as young as I once was". We spent a lazy morning at home watching tennis. After that I got the bright idea to go for a hike. We drove over to Stone Mountain for our adventure. We didn't hit the trail head until 5:00 p.m. Tony was in charge of looking at the trail map to pick the route. He said we'd do the loop. I asked how long it was and he said it didn't say. That should have been clue number one!

I've been having some pain in my left, lower back. I do my best to ignore it, but the further we walked, the more that became impossible. Earlier on the trail, we heard a group of people say something about taking the more difficult route up the mountain. They were going in our direction. Clue number two!!

Fortunately, Tony hikes like a Grandma. He didn't mind stopping while I stretched and moaned and groaned as the trail steepened and countless sets of steps appeared. I kept searching for the top of the mountain, but it seemed it would never come. Finally, we got there and were rewarded with a beautiful view. Tony didn't want to leave, but I knew if we were going to get back before dark, we needed to get started.

Once we found the trail again, I immediately started wondering how much further. Climbing is hard on one set of muscles in my body, and the descent is hard on yet another. This getting old business is for the birds! I tried to stay positive and enjoy the views. But the end of the hike was always close by in the back of my mind.

We came to a fork in the trail, and I finally got the answer as to how long the loop was. I was too tired at that point to even read that part. I was just looking for the direction to follow. It wasn't until we went about a quarter of a mile further that Tony decided to tell me the loop was 4.3 miles. I about fell on the ground in a puddle! I knew we hadn't gone but about 2 miles at that point.

We had a discussion about perceptions and mind over matter. I said a few curse words, but finally set my mind to get to the car. Once I get focused, look out! I was on a mission.

Tony did manage to find a couple of diversions in the waterfall and the old home place that are along the trail. They were actually a nice break from thinking of my aching body and wishing for the end. We finally got to the crossroads on the trail where we heard the group make the comment about the harder route (2.5 hours later). I knew it was just a short distance to the car. Again, I nearly fell to the ground, but this time to kiss it!

Next time, I'll be sure to remember the lessons I learned today. NEVER let Tony pick the trail and LISTEN to the advice of the other hikers. Tomorrow the couch has my name all over it, and if I go getting any bright ideas, I'll be sure to hit the mute button!!

No comments:

Post a Comment