Sunday, June 16, 2013

Critters

Living in the wild has its pros and cons. I love our cabin in the woods. Having the beautiful green trees right outside my window and the two creeks that run on both sides of the house with their soothing sound is amazing. Sleeping with the windows open feeling the cool chill of night is Heaven. Being surrounded by nature is the dream I had from being a small girl.

The beauty of nature also takes the shape of wild animals. We get to see a lot of beautiful birds, squirrels, and butterflies. But every once in a while we get a start by some of the less friendly ones. We've had a bear in the back yard no further than 30 feet from the back door. Tony had grilled steak and he thought that was an invitation to dinner. He fortunately took off when he saw the two footed creatures that live here.

We've had a fox that just trotted into the side yard as if he owned the place. He was very scraggly looking. The neighbor says he saw a baby fox in his driveway the other day. Looks like we'll be seeing a few more before it's over.

We've had reports of mountain lions up on the ridge below the house. Of course everyone says there aren't any mountain lions in this part of the country. I don't think I want to test their theory by walking up on one.

We got a report this evening that there is another bear roaming the neighborhood. The neighbor saw it in his driveway. It was the same evening Tony heard something in the woods above the house and decided to go explore what it was. He didn't find anything fortunately. Wouldn't he have gotten quite the surprise to come toe to toe with a bear?!

I always have to remind myself that we are living in their home. I try to coexist as peacefully as possible. Hopefully we can share this space with no conflicts. I'll continue to admire their beauty even if I have to do it from behind a window.


No comments:

Post a Comment