Monday, June 24, 2013

Pack Rats

Seven. That's the number of years that we've been living in Fancy Gap now. That's an amazing number when it sure doesn't feel like it's been that long.

Today Cass and I spent some quality time in the garage sifting through years of junk. When we moved up here, we boxed up a lot of things we thought we would want to keep. We did also leave a LARGE bunch of junk in the garage in Charlotte. Things we didn't mean to leave, like our softball gloves and equipment, got inadvertently left behind. But for the most part, the things we wanted to keep made their way here.

We have boxes and boxes of stuff to prove it. For the most part, it has all stayed in the garage untouched. We have dug through some of them a time or two looking for something we wanted. But if the truth be told, the large majority of it could have gone to a trash bin, and we wouldn't have known the difference.

The sadder truth is that over the years, we have added just as much junk to the pile as what we brought up here. Today, that is the majority of what Cass and I sorted through. She's as sentimental as I am, so the pile of "keep it for all time" is much larger than the "throw it away" or "yard sale" piles.

The other problem is that when we moved up here, Cass wasn't at the Charlotte house with us. Some of her most treasured possessions didn't make it here according to her. She is going to need therapy one day because her beloved stuffed animals were sent to Goodwill instead of being put in a garbage bag and stored in the garage for the past seven years! So, not wanting to extend her therapy sessions, I agree to keep some things that are ridiculous.

I also contribute to the problem because I'm thinking of my future grand children's visits. I want a treasure chest of their Mom's old clothes and toys for them to pilfer through when they come to visit me. Oh, and don't forget the old books and games. Of course they are going to want to see what their Mom's read know the games they played.

Who am I kidding?! Kids today have no idea what playing means unless they have a gadget in their hands. I can only imagine the look they'll give me when I try to play linkin logs or Monolpoy with them. And Cass keeps reminding me she's not even having any kids. But then she thinks on it and realizes that she'll get to keep something else she likes if she uses the grandchild card.

So, I don't think we made a whole lot of progress today other than creating a GIANT sized mess with everything we pulled out. But it was nice walking down memory lane yet again. Maybe one of these days we will get the garage organized and situated to finish the apartment upstairs. But hey, where's the fun in that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment