Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Listening

Listening is one of those qualities that I wish I was much better at. Because my mind races at 100 mph, I'm not the best listener. That is why conversations with me are so painful for others. I do listen to what they're saying, but it reminds me of something else, and I jump to the next thing before they're ever done.

If it's any consolation to those I torture, I do the same thing to myself. I think of one thing, which leads to the next, that most times goes to a third thought causing me to forget the original thing. The older I've gotten, the worse it's become. Sometimes I think I'm going crazy. I know it's called CRS, but geez!

This morning when I finished my yoga practice, I was pleasantly surprised when assessing how good I felt afterwards. All of my pain areas felt so much more open. Many times when I finish my practice, I still feel tight in certain places. This morning I just lost track of everything else and focused on listening to my body. If any part of my body spoke out as I was stretching or moving, I stopped and gave it my individed attention.

The next time I am in conversation I am going to remember this morning. If my body felt this good by being honored and respected because I listened, that has to be the same way an individual has to feel when they are heard. Even though I don't mean disrespect by topic jumping, I can understand how incomplete I leave people feeling.

There really are no coincidences in life. And life always provides an opportunity to learn. It all depends upon how receptive we are to listening to God's message for us. I'm so grateful he spoke to me this morning. Now let's see if I was truly listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment