Wednesday, May 15, 2013

MYOB

Okay, I'm breaking the rules, or the way I like to look at it as "exercising my right" to expand the meaning of my writing project. So tonight is about acronyms. MYOB = Mind Your Own Business for those of you that don't have a texting teenager in your house.

I'll be the first to tell you I don't like Angelina Jolie for some of her actions. But I realize she's a TV person and means nothing to me in my day to day life. She's made headlines for good things and bad things over the years. But the recent news has me a little riled.

If you've missed it, she decided to have a double mastectomy to prevent getting breast cancer. She has the gene and was told she was 87% likely to contract it. After having lost her own Mother to the disease, she chose to avoid the entire possibility down the road.  Seems reasonable to me, but more importantly I really don't think it's any of my business to weigh in on her decision.

But for some reason, the media has decided it's their business. They want to talk about her being hexed medically. That the doctors giving her this percentage will somehow convince her that she'll get cancer and die. They talk about this procedure being too risky and far too radical of an approach to avoid something that is not a certainty.

There was actually a beauty pageant participant that did this exact same thing recently. She had numerous family members that had died from breast cancer. She was much younger than Angelina, and had not had children yet. The media lambasted her, too.

My point regarding these stories is this. It is not our life. It does not involve the lives of those we love. The media does not need to be weighing in on these situations trying to convince us that these people are doing something wrong. If anything, we need to be lining up in support of these women and their loved ones. I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment