Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Glory Days

Cass' glory days are coming to an abrupt halt. I have milked every last second out of them for her, but at the end of this week, it's over. True to her grumpy self, she doesn't seem to care much. I think at times I've had more at stake emotionally than she does.

That's the thing with Moms. No, we didn't pop out of the womb at 46. We were once young girls. We made mistakes. We stumbled. We skinned our knees. We learned that hindsight is always 20-20. And like our own Mothers, we try to share this knowledge with our children.

But there is no more powerful lesson than the school of hard knocks. People can tell us about the fast approaching brick wall, but we must slam head on into it to realize it truly was there. There are very few people with the grace it takes to traverse the minefield of growing up. Some people do it with ease. Others not so much.

In actuality, we are forever traversing that minefield. Sometimes I feel like the blind leading the blind in raising my children. What was I thinking to believe I had what it takes?! Goodness knows God knew exactly what he was doing in making me a mother so young. If I had grown into the knowledge I have now, I doubt I would have ventured into motherhood.

But I did. And I am grateful for it. Even when my snot nosed brats make me want to pull my hair out. They too will remember these lessons when it's their turn. They will get to be the Mom that is always right. The Mom that always knows what's going on. The Mom with eyes in the backs of their heads. Mom.

Glory days are a tote full of memorabilia and trophies for some. For others it is the indelible ink of experiences written on their souls. Whatever it is for you, I hope you make the most memories you can along your journey called life. And may they give you smiles and laughs for years to come. And most of all, I hope you will share their meaning when it's your turn to be Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment