Thursday, March 28, 2013

SCORE

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, thought about it, I meant to, I was gonna. These are words and phrases used in my house FAR too often. They always follow a question of "Why didn't you....". If I had a penny for every time one of these words were spoken in my house, I'd be a bazillionaire. 

After the first few thousand, I lost my patience. I screamed and hollered and ranted and RAVED. It does no good. The same six words and phrases get repeated. Maybe I've been doing it all wrong. Instead of asking the question, I need to start doling out consequences for infractions since I already know the answer.

I actually did that today. Cassidi didn't do something I had asked her to do last night. I got the apology, the I meant to, and the oh well response. I didn't take too kindly to it. It didn't help her cause that we've had more than a few of these conversations lately.

I decided it was time to take a stand. She had to come home instead of getting to go to her friend's house for the long Easter break. I left her a nice long list of things I wanted done (which yes, included the thing she didn't do to begin with). After she was done with that, I asked for a letter.

I wanted an apology, an acknowledgement of guilt, and an identification of specific appreciation she needs to have for me. After she completed all the items on the list, including my letter, she was free to go. I'd LOVE to know how many minutes it took her to complete the list. I guarantee with the count down to freedom at stake, it wasn't long.

Will it work the next time I ask the question? Or will it keep the question from even needing to be asked? I doubt it. But I felt like I scored one for the Moms out there today!! I know I felt better when I read my letter, even if I did get it under duress.

No comments:

Post a Comment