Sunday, March 24, 2013

Anniversary

28 years ago, we imparted upon this journey. At 17 and 18, the odds were stacked fairly firmly against us. Still in high school, pregnant, and having no idea where our future was headed, we walked down an aisle and into the unknown.

We were married on a Sunday, because I don't like odd numbered days. We spent our honeymoon in Bluefield WV at the Holiday Inn. We skipped school that Monday to say goodbye to our out of town family. We had to go to the principal's office Tuesday to get a lecture on how to behave in school even though we were married.

We were ridiculed by many of our peers, gosh only knows what our teachers thought, and our parents had to have shaken their heads and wondered. Tony was the oldest of three, and I was the youngest of five. To say I was immature and a spoiled rotten brat is an understatement. Really, we had no clue what we were about to embark upon.

But we made it through graduation, the summer, and heading off to college at Appalachian State. Jennifer came in November and we found our way together as parents. Tony finished college, I finished college, and we headed to life in the big city of Charlotte.

Nine years later Cassidi joined our brood. We got pets, a second house, and traveled far and wide in support of our girl's activities. Jennifer left for college, and I went back to school for a new career. It was time to trade in our treadmill running shoes and head back to the pastures.

We moved to our cabin in the woods and started drinking from the water fountain instead of the fire hydrant again. Well, Cass and I did anyway. Tony still has one foot in the corporate world and the other in the barn door. Hopefully I'll get him home full time, soon. 

Come fall, our nest will be empty for the first time ever. I keep telling him we'll soon figure out if we like each other. We are often asked what is our secret in staying married. We both shrug our shoulders and reply "I don't know."

We've been through our share of separations, near divorces, and near homicides. I'm a screamer and he's a smiler. But lately the tables have turned. They say the longer you stay together, the more like the other you become. I'd say I've mellowed a bit and he finally grew into his red head stereotype (even though he's bald now). Somewhere in there, we balance each other out.

I give him a hard time and constantly keep him on his toes, but I couldn't live without him. We've been together so long, I don't know where I stop and he begins. In many ways we think just alike, and in others, we're on different planets. But we never have to guess where the other stands. There is his corner, my corner, and the middle of the ring. Some of our bouts have resulted in hurt feelings and injured pride. But we always kiss and make up.

The first 28 years were spent on parenthood. The next 28, will be spent on us. Sure there will still be daughters to guide and hopefully grandchildren to spoil, but at the end of the day it will be the two of us. Look out Mr. McCann. I have a feeling this phase of the ride will be even bumpier than the beginning. Happy anniversary, baby. I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment