Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Cassidi

This is somewhat of a belated post. Her 18th birthday was on the 21st. But with the loss of Tony's Mom, we weren't much in celebration mode. Tony's Mom died on the 16th and my Mom's seventh anniversary of death was on the 19th. She now has lost both of her Grandmothers within a week of her birthday. We are choosing to look on the bright side  and think of it as them celebrating her birthday with her forever now.

On her actual birthday, she had the final game of her basketball career. This year has been a rough one on that front. Her heart just wasn't in it. But she still played and had a few good games. I hope she'll be able to look back with fond memories. I know from experience she'll wish for just one last game, if she could only go back, about 10 years from now. You know what they say about hindsight.

We have done our best to make this senior year memorable. She's decided to play tennis this Spring. I think it's more about avoiding the realities of growing up, but I'm all for it. I love tennis! Her coach thinks she has a lot of potential for someone just starting. To look at Cassidi, you know she's an athlete. She just has the frame for it. We'll see how the season progresses. It's all about fun, which makes it considerably different than basketball. That's the joy of a new sport.

Today we got her grades from the first grading period of this semester. She made all As. I'm so grateful that she kept her foot on the throttle and didn't slack after finding out she is valedictorian. I think all these years of me emphasizing the importance of her grades, she's caught the bug of doing her best no matter what the circumstance. Being number one in her class is one distinction. Being a go getter is yet another. The latter will take her far in life when the accolades of class rank have faded.

While I sing her praises, let me be the first to say she is also human. She has her flaws like all the rest of us. I don't like to harp on them, but I do remind her of them frequently enough to keep her humble. I feel like doing both are my job. I remember my Mom being my biggest cheerleader. Surely she can never second guess who hers is after I turned myself blue and sported a faux hawk to the state semi final game last year. But I also hope she remembers I have her number and when it needs calling, I'll gladly dial it!

In looking back on the 18 years, we've run the gamut of emotions and experiences together. She is definitely a mini me in nearly every way. I hope I've guided her away from some of the pitfalls I fell into on my own journey. But some of those pitfalls were valuable lessons that the stubborn person I am had to learn the hard way. I have a feeling no matter how hard I try to steer her clear of some of them, she'll be following my bumpy path in certain places. But I'll be here to hug her, love her, and set her back on her path to success.

Happy belated birthday word, Cassidi. I love you like crazy and cannot wait to see the paths your journey will take you down. I know you'll make them humorous if nothing else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment