Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Trust

Tonight's yoga class was about trust. Trust of self. We warmed our bodies and spirits up for the final posture of crow. It is definitely a posture that requires you to trust yourself. We had the safety net of a pillow in front of us to avoid a face plant into the floor, but it's still a trying posture for ones courage.

As with any emotion, we have to give ourselves permission to feel it about ourselves before we can fully feel it for someone else. Because so few people practice that, it explains many of the problems in the world today. The first emotion that pops into my mind in that regard is love. But in actuality, trust must come before love.

Trust of self seems so easy. We know our likes, desires, wants, and needs better than anyone else. It should be a no brainier in pursuing the things that satisfy us. But upon closer inspection, it is one of the most difficult emotions to require of ourselves. It is far easier to lie to ourselves than to anyone else. And oh, how we lie!

Trust is one of the leading qualities people require of others. But in many cases, if we held ourselves to the same expectations that we hold others to, most of us would fail dismally. We ask far more of others than we do ourselves when it comes to trust.

Tonight's class was just as beneficial to me as it was my students. I hope they realize that. I ask of nothing in my class that I don't hold myself to. If only life could be as simple as doing a yoga posture with a pillow as a safety net. But it reminded me to stop, be present, and be accountable. For this, I trust myself. Can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment