Friday, September 13, 2013

Rip Van Winkle

If I'm not careful, I just may turn into ole Rip!! Today was a surprise day off since I didn't have any appointments. It was a wonderful break.

I woke up fairly late for the day. There was no alarm clock to jolt me out of bed, not that I ever really need one these days. I don't know if it is old age or what, but I generally wake up anywhere between a half hour and one minute before my alarm clock ever has the chance to go off. It might have something to do with detesting that annoying sound it makes, too!

Rafa was playing again, but not being televised. I found the online page that would give me the live scoreboard and was content. He eventually won in another searing performance. GO RAFA!!

But as I was making my way through the day, I realized I forgot my sister date. ACK!! I immediately called and we spent the next four hours regurgitating and digesting the events of each others lives for the last few weeks. Life has been a little bit busy on both of our ends, but we rarely get off the phone in less than four hours even when we have the most boring of existences. Sister love. Unless you have it, you can't explain it. I couldn't live without my sister, Debbie.

We are alike in so many ways, but yet have distinct differences. She's a fellow hermit and we had the best time reviewing my recent discovery of the finer things aloneness brings. I've actually been taking notes from her for a few years now. We're two peas in a pod in that category for sure.

I got a jump start on Autumn and made my first pot of vegetable soup. It hit the spot. We'll see if I'm able to eat the whole thing by myself. I may turn into vegetable soup if I'm successful.

It has been another quiet day at the McCann abode. I have yet to have a real lonesome moment. Twenty eight years of being "on" for someone else has a tendency to tire you out. I'm absorbing this down time for the day when I know it's going to get busy again. I don't anticipate the pace ever equalling the demands of motherhood, but it's bound to pick up when Tony comes home.

Quiet solitude had to set well with Rip, otherwise he'd have come down from that mountain sooner. I haven't been drinking anything, growing a foot long beard, or sleeping the days away, but I sure have been enjoying the life of seclusion. One more week of this carefree bliss before I have to don the cloak of the real life of Machelle McCann and let Mr. Van Winkle have his back.

No comments:

Post a Comment