Monday, September 9, 2013

Passion

I have been accused on more than one occasion of being too passionate. I don't do half way. It's either 110% or nothing at all. I just believe that if you're going to do a thing or feel something, you should give it your best shot. I like people that feel and do the same thing.

I have been watching tennis for years. Martina Navratilova and John McEnroe are two of the most passionate players in history. Martina's sheer dominance was unparalleled in women's tennis. McEnroe's temper was the only thing that beat him on more than one occasion.

But undeniably the most passionate player in tennis of all time would have to be Rafael Nadal. He plays every point as if his life depended upon it. During a match, he wears a frown that would make you believe he's the grumpiest person alive - winning or losing. He plays like he is always a set and a break down.

But just as grumpy as he is off the court, he's an entire smile off it. When he smiles, his whole being smiles. His face beams like a ray of sunshine. Sometimes his Spanglish is difficult to understand, but his smile never is.

Tonight he won another major tournament. He had a 7 month period of time where he wasn't able to compete due to a knee injury. He has spoken about the pain it caused his spirit not to play. About how difficult it was to have to watch tournaments from home on a tv instead of playing in them. Those are just words.

But to see the celebrations he has had in his wins since his return, anyone could understand the torment he went through all those months. His first couple of wins were on very small stages on clay. He still cried. He has won 1000 series and two Grand Slams. Those celebrations were extremely special.

As he was about to serve the final point of the match tonight, I was standing in front of my television pacing back and forth, hands clasped in front of my face, and on the verge of tears. When that ball went into the net and he won, a flood of tears sprung from my body. Rafa was on the ground crying, and I was trying to get ahold of my own emotions.

To see how important these wins are for him, even after all of these years of him playing this sport, is a true testament of his greatness. He doesn't take a single win, or opponent, for granted. He plays a 500 series tournament the same way he does a grand slam - 110%. That takes someone special. And Rafael Nadal is special.

Congratulations Rafa on your fabulous victory tonight. I know it will not be your last of the season. I am so grateful for the 12 years I have gotten to watch you. I am one of your biggest fans and will continue to watch until that unfortunate day when you hang up your racquet. But until then, VAMOS RAFA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment