Monday, July 8, 2013

Roller coasters

The highs and lows of life come at varying speeds. Today my emotions have run the gamut. I keep reminding myself that this is the second child we've sent to college. We survived the first, and we will survive the second.

The grounds of UVA are beautiful. The weather also was a roller coaster today. We started out with beautiful sunshine to end with a torrential downpour. But it gave us many viewpoints of the life Cass will lead here.

I picked up bits and pieces of information along the way. The speakers today were all very educated, but incredibly personable. UVA is the Ivy League of the South, and we worried it might be a little too "stiff" for Cass. But from what I saw today, I think she will be just fine. I hope she feels the same.

The first person that spoke to her told her she liked her accent. It is something she will have to get used to hearing as there are students here from all over the globe. An accent won't hold her back, but a bad attitude about it will! She likes to entertain, so she needs to milk it for all the laughs she can get. And then she can laugh all the way to the bank when they misjudge her as stupid and she eats their breakfast, lunch, and dinner academically!

I got a little grumpy today with disrespectful and rude parents. It truly amazes me that anyone thinks it is acceptable to have a full on conversation in an auditorium when someone is speaking. I wanted to shout "Hey moron, this isn't about YOU! Please go outside if you don't have the decency to sit quietly and show respect for the person in front of you that is educated and sharing valuable information about the well being of your child." I did glare, but didn't speak. Had I had Tony in tow, the outcome might have been different.

Tomorrow is another day of information and networking. I requested a FaceTime chat tonight, but she still hasn't called. I don't know if she's in overload mode or enjoying herself. I hope it's the latter. Nonetheless, I'm tired and ready to be home. This roller coaster ride hopefully is in park for the night so I can get some much needed rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment