Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Goals

My type A personality keeps me focused on goals non stop. I try to live life day by day, but I still find myself setting goals and marching toward them. I think the difference these days is that I'm not so maniacal about having to fulfill them to the nth degree.

My word project has been fairly successful. I have only missed a handful of days excluding the long span when Eleanor died. Some nights I just don't feel like I have anything useful to say. Other times I feel like I could write a book. It must be difficult to be an author.

As my empty nest approaches, my mind is racing with all the activities I want to pursue. I haven't put pencil to paper (or in the electronic world I live in, typing to notepad) as yet on all those ideas. There are still a few unknowns brewing in our household, so I'm holding out for now. But the day will come, and I'll be off to the races in pursuing them.

As with everything, there is a balance. Being goal oriented isn't bad. I have achieved a lot in life by being driven. But goodness knows I've gone overboard on more than one occasion. Chewable chunks versus the whole enchilada. Drinking from the water fountain versus the fire hydrant. These are concepts I speak of often, but am more than slow to honor.

I like to think I'm a work in progress. If I were perfect, that would be very boring! Knowing my weaknesses, admitting to them, and then figuring out how to work on them is what makes life interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment