Thursday, February 7, 2013

Social Networks

Okay, I know that's two words, but really it's a single concept. If they aren't put together, they mean something entirely different. So I'm just expanding upon my word rule a bit. It's my challenge, so I guess I can take liberties with it when it makes sense to. :)

As a kid, I would never have fathomed the capability of computers today. I remember when my boyfriend got a Commodore 64. I made fun of him for being a weirdo. The term geek didn't even exist back then! When I asked him what he was going to do with it,  it was mostly to play games. 

Now we have hand held devices that do magic. Part of that magic is keeping in touch with our friends and family. We have email, texting, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snap Chat, and Pinterest to name a few. The apps for a phone change daily and unless you're a teenager, or have one to tell you what the latest is, you're lost.

As a parent of a minor, I have become quiet the cyber stalker. She hates it with a fiery passion. But I do this for a few reasons. One, it's about the only way I know what goes on in her life. Two, I want her to realize that if I can see it, the rest of the world can, too. And three, if she does something that causes harm to someone else, I'm the one responsible.

Parenting is so much more than making sure they brush their teeth and do their homework these days. Just read your news stories. "The majority of teens suffer from anxiety if they're away from their phone for more than 15 minutes", "If you unfriend someone on Facebook you will most likely lose them as a real friend, too", and "You know how cool you are by the number of likes you get". It's crazy!

And then there are the uses of these tools. Cyber bullying is out of control. Back in the day, the worst bullying was when you took someone's lunch money or wouldn't let someone sit at your lunch table. There are kids killing themselves these days because they are being tricked into doing and saying things online for the purposes of using it against them with their peers. It's completely out of control.

I do look forward to the time when I can stop being a helicopter Mom and use these tools for my own enjoyment. Cassidi will be 18 in two weeks. She'll legally be responsible for her own actions. Unfortunately I don't think her brain will magically develop fast enough in these two weeks for me to hang up my cyber stalker mom title just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment