Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Nostalgic

Tonight was the last basketball game of the regular season and it was at home. That made it senior night. It all happened pretty fast and it was over before I had a chance for it to really register. That's a good thing, because I would have been crying like a baby if it had.

I did cry at the start of the game. The coach decided to start an all senior team. We have six senior, so that meant someone had to sit out. The most gracious player of them all let the others play. That's what team work is all about!! Cass got to be a lucky recipient of that decision. She started in four other games throughout the season, though. But one of our seniors has gotten very little time her entire varsity career. Seeing her get to start in her only varsity game did wonders for my heart!

I think another one of the reasons I didn't get too emotional is I know we still have district and regional games left. That all starts next week. The girls have really come on strong here at the end in the district. We need a miracle to happen in a game two other teams in the district are playing this Friday to win it outright. But hey, lesser miracles have occurred. If the outcome doesn't go in our favor, we'll have to have a play off game. That just  means yet another game. So I haven't cashed in all my basketball chips just yet.

But I know it is coming. The day when I sit and ponder all the games, the lessons learned, the injuries, the coaches, the players, the road trips. It's amazing how much effort gets put into this thing we do to keep our kids busy with what we want them doing so they won't do the things we don't want them to. And even more amazing how it becomes engrained in our hearts along the way.

As a previous basketball player, I have loved watching her play. She's grown so much in the sport. She could have had a great year if she had just tried. But she got completely burnt out and the spark was gone. She had moments of glory, but they soon fizzled. I can't say that I blame her considering they play 10 out of 12 months. It's like they're pro athletes. But again, it kept her focused and out of trouble.

I'm thinking when that last game is over, the winds will completely drop out of my sails. But there is a player that is in 8th grade that I've fallen in love with. She is going to be absolutely amazing to watch in the next four years. She might not be my girl, but I'll cheer her on just the same!

Congratulations Cassidi on an amazing ride called basketball. It will be a part of your life forever. You will dream of it and wake up wishing for one last game for years to come. Thank you for all of the entertainment and hard work. We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment