Sunday, February 10, 2013

Joy

It's amazing how the smallest of things can make your heart smile. I try to find as many of them as possible these days. This weekend I found quite a few. They show up in the oddest places.

I've always loved watching tennis. When I was in high school, I would set the clock on a Saturday morning during the summer to watch breakfast with Wimbledon. I loved Martina Navratilova and John McEnroe. They always provided a lot of entertainment as well usually won.

I didn't play tennis in high school because I ran track every spring. But when I went to college I took tennis as one of my Phys  Ed requirements. My partner and I were the champs of the class. It was so much fun. I don't think I've wielded a tennis raquet since, however.

Cassidi decided to fulfill one of my vicarious living desires and play tennis this year. I couldn't believe it when she said she would. I can't decide if she's doing it to make me happy or to avoid getting that job I told her was waiting after basketball. Whatever the case, I'm ecstatic.

Yesterday we shopped until we dropped to buy all the necessary "equipment". After buying 3 racquets, 18 balls, sweat bands, racquet stabilizers, training ball pad, 3 practice outfits, shoes, and a bag, I think maybe my dream should have stayed just that. But it was kind of fun,too.

Today we decided to take all the equipment for a spin. I was bouncing in the seat of the car on the way to the courts. Cass kept looking out of the corner of her eye at me with her usual grumpy disdain. She didn't say it, but I know she was thinking it. "Mom, if you don't calm down, I'm NOT going to play." I could feel it and was trying to restrain myself.

When we got there, I knew I had better stretch. I took the opportunity to encourage her to as well. She surprisingly joined me. I hope she'll remember to do it each time as tennis looks easy, but it is really hard on your body. From there, we went on one side of the net just to get a feel for her ball striking abilities.

Once she got bored with that, we progressed to our own sides of the net. She tried some serving, return of service, and some volleying. It all went well. We didn't even get into any fights, which is entirely amazing. I didn't want to leave, but she had homework. I relented, and we loaded up.

On the way home, the adrenalin started wearing off. I started feeling some of the effects. I'm definitely not as young as I once was. Who knows if we'll get back on a court together before her school practice starts and she finds more capable partners. But I had a blast and if nothing else, got this one day of being 16 again. Oh the joys :)

No comments:

Post a Comment