Saturday, February 9, 2013

Retail Therapy

I figured I'd go for two in a row since I created a new rule yesterday. Actually, today has been nothing but shopping and not much else came to mind in the short time I have to write this. It's been a LONG day for a self professed shop-o-hater!

Since Cassisi decided to play tennis this year, we needed to get all the gear she needs. A trip to Winston was in order since we don't have a whole lot of options around here. We rarely go shopping and even more rarely go to a city to do it. With all the events coming up, I thought we should knock out a couple of the other shopping needs,too. Whenever I get in a shopping mood, it's best to get in as much as possible. We may have overdone it a bit today.

Our receptionist told me about a store that sells slightly used sporting equipment. We decided to give it a try. We found two racquets that are brand new and a third that looks like new. I got all of them for about half what I'd pay for a new one. I felt like I hit the jackpot. We did have to get one stringed, however. Not being familiar with Winston, we let the GPS dictate the driving. We did a lot of circular driving today.

After we dropped of the racquet to be strung, we went to Sports Authority for the remainder of the gear and clothes. That was an ugly bill. But she assures me that she will wear these clothes until the cows come home and that she is going to play tennis forever. Right!

We had a bit more time until we had to be back for the racquet. We hit the mall. Since we didn't have long, we thought we'd look for her graduation dress first. She walked in to the first store and found the perfect dress. It was uncharacteristically easy. I wouldn't let her get it right away, so we looked through the rest of the store. I liked a couple of others, but she insisted on the first one. I should know better than to try and convince her of my choices.

We headed back to the store that did her racquet. We were in and out in a flash, and it was surprisingly cheaper than they had quoted us on the phone. So it was back to the mall for more retail therapy (and emptying of my bank account).

Cassidi found her prom dress online this year with little to no effort (I've taught her well). We had a little bobble with the size, but it was easily returned and the correct size reordered. All we needed was shoes and jewelry. We struck out on the jewelry, but found the exact shoes we were looking for. Looks like the Internet is going to have to save the day on the jewelry, though. After the day I had today, I can't wait to do my favorite kind of shopping - online from the comfort of my couch.

Since we were having such good luck, I went all out and decided to get my dress for graduation, too. I even found shoes. I will have to keep reminding myself how lucky I am that I did this early as the date nears. That way I won't be scrambling around trying to find the perfect outfit in addition to stressing out that my baby is leaving the nest.

All in all, it was a very productive day. My pocketbook is a LOT lighter, but it was great spending time with Cassidi. I definitely can't do that when she's holed up in her basement room while I shop online upstairs. I guess that is where the therapy part of the phrase comes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment