Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Careers

As a kid, I went through multiple phases of what I wanted to be when I grew up. I ran the gamut for sure - a semi truck driver, a scientist, an astronaut, a doctor, a track Olympian, etc. None of those ever stuck as I bored easily when it came to the day to day monotony of preparing for that field.

When it came time for college and having to pick a major, I went with my heart. I have always loved history and writing. I wanted to study history and become an archaeologist. I wanted to write history books and encyclopedias. Strange I know, but I remember the footage from Tutankhamun's burial site like it was yesterday. I've always been intrigued about the way people live and the customs they follow. And being a tomboy and loving the outdoors, digging in the mud to find stuff (maybe even treasures) sounded like a great idea.

But then reality hit. Tony informed me that I would never make any money with that career and it would be a waste of an education. As young as we were and already having started a family, we were very focused on succeeding. I took his input and the challenge. I got a management information systems degree and pursued the business world.

My first job was with Bank of America (then NCNB) in their Technology department in Charlotte. I was hired into their management development program. Within the first 6 months of being there, the program changed.  It was the best thing that could have ever happened for me. They wanted to give each candidate exposure to the various back office functions of the bank to guide them in becoming general managers.

It was perfect for me. I'd stay in a role for anywhere between 9 to 18 months. Having an expiration date for each job made them more tolerable. I did my best to learn, but mostly got to figure out what I didn't want to do as a career from each. The program also provided development classes, and I learned valuable lessons in an attempt to smooth some of my rough edges.

When the training was complete, I could go anywhere I wanted in the bank. I went back to one of the groups I started in and created a new role that would focus on the skills I had honed. It was a relationship management role. It was a role where I could help people. Always the mother hen, it was the perfect fit.

From there I had Cassidi and went to a part time status. I got an opportunity to change positions when it came time for me to go back to work. I learned some more things I didn't want to be when I grew up. It got so bad, that I left the bank and became a contractor. That taught me a lot of very valuable lessons, too.

But due to the long term instability of that type of work, I went back to the bank in yet another technology group. In the 17 years I worked for the bank, I had at least 5 major role changes and at least 50 different managers, thanks to reorganizations along the way. It was not a place that I got bored, and if I did,  I just had to wait a bit for things to change.

When Jennifer went off to college, I decided I needed a REAL change. Raising her in the city provided more challenges than I was up to for Cassidi. So, I went back to school for massage and yoga. A lot of people thought I was crazy for walking away from such a great paying job with vacation and benefits. But I realized it was making me be a person that I didn't like.

We moved when Cassidi started 6th grade. I still worked from home with the bank and started my massage and yoga on the side. I then transitioned to part time at the bank as things picked up on the other front. Finally, I felt it was time to take the leap. I went on a 6 month leave of absence to see if I could really make it. It worked, and I hung up my corporate world shoes.

I have since opened my own day spa with a business partner. It has been extremely successful financially and just as rewarding spiritually. My mother hen gets fulfilled everyday. In the pursuit of that new career, I felt God led me to it and through it. There were so many times where I was trying to cram the square peg into the round hole and then HE would get my attention. I finally learned to let go, and let God. It was a tough lesson, but thank goodness HE is truly patient.

In the last few years, I have wanted to write. I've searched and searched my soul to find the answer of getting me started. It's an unknown world that I can't attend a class to master a skill or the dynamics of the profession. I'm sure there is a "how to" book somewhere that I could buy to get me going. I just need the impetus to get the ball rolling.

I think I have finally found just that. In documenting Eleanor's cancer journey, I received numerous words of encouragement about my writing style and skills. Many people said "You need to write a book". I've been trying to figure out just what it is I'm supposed to write. I want it to be something that is helpful to others and not just about making money. The other day God finally made it clear to me what I'm supposed to do.

Being the history and human condition lover that I am, it only makes sense for me to write about people. When my Grandmother died, my Mom wanted me to write her story based on the accounts of her family. I didn't get around to it by the time Mom died 11 months later. And then of course when she died, I wanted her story told. Again, I have not gotten that done. Finally now that Tony's Mom has died, I want her story shared. These thoughts have been mulling around in my head, but I never put two and two together until recently.

I need to be the one to write these stories. Not just for these people, but for anyone that has lost someone that they want their story captured for future generations. It is sort of like ancestory.com with the pieces woven together into a patchwork quilt representing each loved ones life.  What better way to honor those that have gone before us than to document their life so their great grandchildren know where they get their stubborn streak or deep blue eyes.

I was so excited when God opened my eyes to his plan. There are a few kinks I have to work out in regard to just how to make this happen, but I know it's what I need to be doing. The same day I realized this, I was also working with a pregnant client. It struck me that I could also document the birth stories for Mother's to share with their children.

A biographer - that is essentially what I'd be considered. But not just of famous people that have reams and reams of information to share. But of the everyday person that lives their life putting one foot in front of the other. It's not really a unique idea, but hopefully one I can make affordable to help carry on the legacies of those that have gone before us.

Careers used to be for a lifetime. I'm so grateful to have been afforded the luxury to experiment and explore so many. I hope this one is as exciting and educational as the others have been. I know that God has led me through this journey all along. I doubt this will be my final destination, but only another patch to add  to my own quilt of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment