Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Island

There are times when I truly believe I could be a hermit. I spent the day mostly alone, like so many of my days. Once Cass heads to college, I know I'll be spending even more that way. I really like them, but I need to learn to make the days more productive, though.

It's amazing how quickly time seems to pass when I'm home alone. I do string the day together moving from one thing to the next. If I didn't have the Internet I could probably get a whole lot more accomplished. I find that I don't even turn on the tv these days.

I used to dream of vacations on a deserted island with the warm sun on my face. I still do sometimes. But the island of my little cabin in the woods is pretty daggone hard to beat. Today at one point I had the urge to open all the windows and feel a warm breeze blow through. Too bad the air is still chilly.

I'm ready for the warm weather this year. Today I was contemplating why that is when I love the snow so much. I think it has a lot to do with the wood heat we burn. There is a layer of dust covering everything. And then there is the trail of dirt through the house from dragging in wood. It's incredibly warm and romantic, but it's just so messy.

The thought of spring cleaning ran through my head today. That's a rarity these days. I've given up on a clean house. In Charlotte you could eat off my floors. Here, the 5 second rule might give you a disease. It's grown on me, but I have my days.

One day soon I'll have just myself to clean after for the most part. And to cook for. And to keep company. My own little island. I wonder just how much I'll enjoy it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment