Sunday, February 3, 2013

Champions

It's Super Bowl Sunday. A day that little boys dream of from their pee wee days on. Every backyard football game is set in the context of the two minute drill for the game winning Hail Mary. A game of and for champions.

Tonight I watched the behaviors of the players, coaches, and fans in disappointment. The players are over paid prima donnas full of trash talking and disrespectful actions. The coaches meltdown worse than temper tantrum throwing two year olds. The fans boo and hiss when plays or calls do not go their way. I am ashamed to admit I was doing my fair share of whining from my comfy couch location at times.

 So much attention is placed on these sporting events where millions of dollars exchange hands. Meanwhile our nation is nearly $17 trillion dollars in debt. Does anyone else think it's ridiculous we glorify these events while there are millions of people in this country starving and freezing to death?

When I watch football, the majority of the time I am reminded of the Roman Empire days and the gladiators. These big brutes are in the middle of the arena pummeling each other for our entertainment. No, the players aren't slaves. But if you consider the amount of money most of them are paid in comparison to the long term injuries they receive, slavery might be a better option. The almighty dollar is their master and they are willing to do anything for it.

The other disturbing part of the Super Bowl is the half time show. It is further evidence that the standards of society have gone down the drain. A women scantily clad, rolling around on stage and shaking her booty is praised. Meanwhile this is the same person that just sang the most important song to Americans, the national anthem, at the inauguration. I just don't get it.

I realize I'm dating myself when I wish for the times when the social standards were based on respectable behavior. When people acted with dignity in the presence of others and especially when they were in front of a crowd. When champions were hailed for their superior performance and humility. When leaders led by example of integrity and sportsmanship.

I'm glad I grew up in a time where I can remember those values. I worry about our future generations that are watching the standards of today and won't know any better. I hope and pray respect can somehow make it back into the two minute drills being executed in back yards across America. Only then will we see true champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment