Friday, October 11, 2013

London Day 4 - Proficient

Today I traversed the tube lines fairly well. I only got on one train heading in the wrong direction. It was easy enough to fix by hopping off at the next stop. I even figured out how to add money to my card so I could go outside of my purchased zones. While I might be getting the hang of this stuff, I definitely don't want to stay!! The city life is NOT for me!!

I saw Buckingham Palace today at one of the worst possible times. It was changing of the guard time. They are only doing it every other day right now, so that made for mass hysteria by onlookers. I got there about 5 minutes before it was to start. People were shoving and being entirely rude. I made a bee line for the closest exit. I did get back away from them and managed to get a few pictures of the grounds.

I then got to see the Royal Mews. Like me, I'm sure you have no idea what that is. It's the Queen's horse stable. I got to see some amazing carriages today. The coronation carriage is all gold. UNBELIEVABLE!!

I then made my way over to Kensington Palace. And no, I didn't get to see Georgie Porgie! It's not the most grand building on the outside, but the grounds are beautiful. I can understand why Diana, and now her son, wanted to live there. The 30 or so rooms that we got to see ranged from extraordinarily beautiful and ornate to just ho hum. It was quite the experience to see.

My final place to visit was one of my favorite. I've seen this place on TV for YEARS!! Wimbledon!! It was quite a tube ride out and a mile walk one way, but so worth it. I missed the last full tour, but I was able to see the museum and center court. I'm sure it was the glass enclosure that I was in, but center court wasn't as big as I had imagined it in my mind. Maybe I'm just so used to the gigantic stadiums that we have in the US for sporting events. But it was definitely hallowed ground for me. I didn't cry, but I was close!!

It was finally time to head back to the hotel and hopefully rest for the evening. But Tony had different plans. We're to head out to Paris in the morning and he wanted to do a dry run to the train station we'll be taking and drop off our extra luggage. It's yet again a late night. But maybe I can sleep on the trip to France tomorrow. I don't like the idea of being under water on a train.

I've managed to survive the tortures of non stop sight seeing up to this point. I have been going ever since I landed basically. Let's see if I survive Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment