Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween

Halloween has always been one of my most favorite holidays. I think the fact that you can be a grown up and still put on a silly costume to be a kid is priceless. When we left Charlotte, it was hard to enjoy Halloween because we never get any trick or treaters out here in the boondocks. In Charlotte, I'd have to buy bags and bags of candy. There were so many kids.

Hillsville had an event they held in town, but Cass soon outgrew that. Two years ago I had the great idea of hosting a party. They were so much fun to plan and prepare for. The first year was great, but the second year was a BLAST!! I think next year I'm going to have an adult party. It will be on a Friday night, so that will be perfect. I should start planning now!

On the way home tonight, I thought back to the days when I was a kid myself going out for Halloween. Our little gang was pretty mischievous. We egged cars and rolled toilet paper. Last year when I saw one of my friends from back then, he reminded me of a vegetable garden fiasco one Halloween.

We all threw rotten veggies from the garden at passing cars. I happened to pick up a ginormous melon of some sort. Sure enough, we hit a car and caused a lot of damage. They stopped and we all scattered. This one guy got caught and took the rap for all of us. My melon probably caused the worst of the damage, and that poor guy got all the trouble. Sure we were just stupid kids, but I feel badly I participated in letting him take all the credit. And even worse, I had completely forgotten about it all happening. I still don't remember much about it, but it rang a vague bell when he told the story. UGH!

Then I started thinking about the girls when they were little. Some of their costumes were adorable. I made a lot of them. Jen decided she wanted to be an elephant one year. That one was interesting to turn out. I wish I had kept it. But I'm sure it was sold in a yard sale along the way. Thankfully we have pictures of it.

I have great memories of Halloween. The gobs of candy we'd get. Costume contests we always wanted to win. Carnivals we went to bobbing for apples, doing cake walks, and eating lots of food. Haunted houses we screamed in. 

So, here's to Halloween. The holiday where you can be a crazy kid no matter how old you are. I hope you found your inner child and didn't eat too much candy. And if it's possible, let a little bit of that kooky kid follow you into tomorrow and every day following.

No comments:

Post a Comment