Sunday, October 5, 2014

Birthdays abroad

I'm trying to think if I've ever been away from home for my birthday before. I think once when I worked for the bank I had to travel for business. It's kind of a strange feeling being away from home and the girls for my birthday.

We woke with no particular plans for the day. Tony kept asking me what I wanted to do. After breakfast I decided we should go out for a walk and head for Trafalgar Square. It is one place I don't think I really enjoyed as much as I should have last visit.

Tony didn't have his handy dandy map book and we wandered around a bit before we got our bearings. We found the square, watched the street entertainers, and then  looked at each other to say "Now what?!" The tour buses all leave from there so we decided on that.

We took the bus around to the other side of the city and then got on the tour boat that was part of the tour we bought. While it was a beautiful day, it was getting a little chilly once evening settled in. It was fun, but we were glad to be heading back toward the hotel.

We ate dinner at a nice Italian restaurant Tony frequents awhile he's here. The waitress knew him and was especially nice to us. She gave us some Italian liquor on the house that tasted like liquid lemon drops. She asked to take our picture as I had my camera with us. Tony told her she must have known it was my birthday since she was being so nice. She smiled and wished me a happy birthday. She was very sweet.

We came in for the evening and Tony is getting ready for a week of work after being gone for two weeks. I don't think he's quite looking forward to it. Hopefully everything will go well, and it will be an easy day back for him.

It's supposed to rain heavy here all day tomorrow. I plan on a very low key day ending with a great massage. I found a great upside to being in London on my birthday. Downton Abbey has started its new season here already. It's been a stupendous day, and one I'll remember for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment