Sunday, August 9, 2015

On schedule, August 8, 2015


Last night we decided to sleep in until 8:00 today. Jennifer said it’s the first time she’s ever considered getting up at 8:00 as sleeping in. Last night wore us to a frazzle. "Mr. I can sleep when I die" spent the day in the back seat sleeping the majority of the day. I think we’ve found his Achilles heel. He drove the large majority of our first week. Jennifer took over the wheel today. I’ve pretty much decided that every time I drive, I do something I shouldn’t. I’ll just let them drive.

We went to breakfast today at a really nice diner in Port Angeles. It’s a beautiful little town at the top of the Washington peninsula. Olympic National Park was just south of the little town. We decided on a route that would hopefully let us see a good bit of the important sites of the park but still make the ferry we had scheduled in Port Townsend. We saw the rainforest, the beach front, and the mountains from afar. Cass was unhappy that we didn’t make it to the visitor center where you could view Mount Olympus. But the weather was rainy and cloudy and we wouldn’t have been able to see the top of the mountain anyway.

Port Townsend was also a neat looking place. We didn’t get to even drive through it. We made it to the ferry with about 45 minutes to spare. We got in line and headed across the water. We didn’t see any whales or critters other than seagulls. It only took about 30 minutes to cross. On the other side, we saw beautiful farm land and rainbows everywhere. Simply gorgeous.

We’re finding that this country that we’re living in is vast, beautiful, and holds its own unique qualities every mile that we travel. While some things may look the same as the next, there is always something that separates it from everything else. Today I had a wish that I could store every site I’m seeing like the pictures that I’m taking. There are just so many views to take in. And pictures simply don’t do them justice.

We got into our hotel this evening earlier than we have to any along the way. Our energizer bunnies are running low on umph! Tomorrow is going to be another busy day of seeing what the next bend in the road holds. It will be the last day that we’ll stay on schedule with what we planned before. From here on out, we’ll have to fast forward things a bit. We’re not entirely sure how we’re going to do it, but as always, we’ll get it done. It may just be a little more painful than we expected.

It’s hard to believe we’ve only been at this a week. I’ve gotten to the point where I’ve forgotten some of what we’ve already seen. We’ve been so focused on moving forward, reviewing hasn’t crossed out minds. I’m grateful for all the pictures and the words of these blogs. One day I’ll be able to look back and appreciate all we’ve done. However, right now, I could go for a 24 hour nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment