Sunday, August 2, 2015

NorthWest Adventure - July 31, 2015

(I wrote this in a journal Friday evening as we were heading out)

Our trip originated as Jen's 30th birthday celebration. Well, before that it was about picking up Aunt Maxine's moose collection she gave Tony. I made Jen pick the route and attractions that we'd visit. She took a chapter out of the over achieving sampler tour we took in 2003. We crammed in more than was imaginable that trip. I think we may just out do even that crazy feat.

The logistics of scheduling this trip were a tad more challenging this time. Jen was 17 and Cass 8 then. We only had Tony and my work to consider. This time, we had to take into account Tony's London travels, Jen's work, Cass' college, and my new business. Picking a date proved rather difficult. We settled on the end of July into August. Jen kept waffling on the date to leave, but we finally got it settled.

In trying to determine what vehicle to take on the trip, I knew immediately we would NOT be buying or renting an RV like last time. We looked into renting a van, but they wouldn't let Cass drive due to her age. None of those options worked out, so we decided on taking the truck. Of course Tony needed to "tune up" lots of things - in addition to buying new gadgets like a back up camera. He always makes sure to collect a few toys on these adventures. Let's hope there is no need for any new tools on this trip however!

While the monster truck is rather large, we knew space was going to be an issue. Especially when Cassidi takes three bags to spend one night. We quickly came up with a bag limit, of which we knew she'd break anyway. The girls wanted to take camping gear and again I immediately said no way! We definitely won't have time to find a site, set up, and break down each day. Plus driving non-stop is going to make our bodies feel like crap. Sleeping in a soft bed and having a hot shower the next morning is going to feel much better than the hard ground. I haven't made all the reservations as yet, but I know which locations need hotels.

I did break out the anal retentive, vacation Nazi and created a spreadsheet for our travels. I wanted everyone to sign it like a contract to commit to the plan and not waver half way through. I know my clan well. We'll get to the top corner of WA and they'll poop out. Needless to say, no one signed it!

All the planning and packing and scheduling has come to a close. If we forgot it, we'll just have to buy it new - whatever that may be. The first leg is visiting the Aunts in Denver (and picking up the moose collection!) We're driving straight through. We're only 3.5 hours in, and I'm ready to be there already. Should be a blast!!

No comments:

Post a Comment