Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A country traffic jam

A while back, I had started to blog on my myspace account. That didn't last very long. Recently, I went back to review some of the things I wrote there, and found this story. Thought I'd share it here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A County Traffic Jam (written Thursday, June 14, 2007)
I often joke that a traffic jam here in the country is FAR different than one in Charlotte. My usual response is that a traffic jam here is getting caught behind a tractor. But I have a few more to add to that:

1) Having to share the road with a herd of cattle - One day I was headed over to the spa and a herd of cattle had a 'jail break' in the middle of the road. I slowly started to creep through the herd when I got the bright idea that maybe I should beep! ACK! Bad idea - that started a stampede!! Fortunately, none of them head butted the car. There was one poor cow that got stranded behind me when the herd bolted. He eventually caught up, but I learned a valuable lesson!! Beeping in the city is one thing - beeping in the country ISN'T allowed!

2) Having to share the road with the local dogs - On the way to the spa, there's this one house that has 2 dogs. They lay in the road 3/4s of the time. It's right in a curve, too. Knowing they're there now, I just proceed VERY cautiously through that area. And definitely DON'T use the beeping strategy!

3) Having to share the road with the local 'fowl' - Today I had to slow to a crawl just after the dog's house, because there was a rooster in the road. There's also a farm a little further back where guinea's live. I've had to stop on numerous occasions for them as the road seems to attract them.

4) Having to share the road with the local wildlife - Living on the Blue Ridge Parkway, we get to see lots of wildlife - turkeys, deer, ground hogs, raccoons, rabbits, etc. Sometimes they're closer to the road than others. Nothing worse than driving along and having a deer bolt out in front of the car. They usually travel in pairs, so just when your heart starts beating again after the first on, the second one jumps out! An added factor is the 'onlooker delay'. The speed limit on the BRPW is 45 which highly encourages 'site seeing', sometimes causing MAJOR delay!

So, that's the top 5 list if you include the tractors! I LOVE living in the country. I'll take this kind of traffic any day!! Oh, I did forget one other species - the SLOW native. Gosh knows the local neighbors here wish I'd move back to Charlotte!! I'm getting better, but my lead foot sometimes catches a few glares. One of these days I'll be a SLOW native!! Sooner hopefully than later!

Happy Driving!

(As a side note, it's been almost 4 years since we moved up here, and I still have a lead foot!)

No comments:

Post a Comment