Friday, September 26, 2014

Gypsy wanderers

After a fairly decent nights sleep, I thought I'd be prepared to get back in the car for the next day full of sight seeing. About an hour in, my tail was sore, and I was wiggling around. We walked out to a swinging rope bridge that connects cliffs over the ocean. It was gorgeous. But the walking flared up the blister I've rubbed on the top of my little toe with my new tennis shoes. A horizontal comatose position would probably be the best position for me for the next few days. But that won't be happening! We're 1500 miles in and about 2500 to go.

We continued down the coast and found a couple of castle ruins to explore. We drove through countryside and cities alike. We always like it best when the road narrows and traffic thins out. We're drawn to mountains and country settings like magnets.

We're in another bed and breakfast for the night. The little lady is as sweet as she can be. Tony asked for a glass of ice so he can drink his Jack Daniel's. She said she'd look to see if there is any. She doesn't have any, but put some in to freeze. She said she had no idea how long it would take, but she'd check back in an hour. They don't drink anything with ice here. They want everything to be warm because it's always cold outside.

We've actually been very fortunate with the weather. Today the sun has shown all day. While it's not hot by any means, it's not freezing. The wind cuts you in two, but the sun feels good when you can find a cozy spot to get out of it. It's mostly at night when it rains. We were very lucky that the one night we had to drive, it didn't rain. I still have images of Bambi being knocked to the pavement and scurrying to get up. UGH!!

The routes I have mapped out so far have worked out great. Tomorrow we head over to Dublin to see what's over there. We really need to sit down together and map out the next few days. But we're both always so tired when we get in that looking at a map isn't high on the priority list. Tonight it is a MUST though.

With as much traveling as we are doing, I swear we must have been gypsies in a prior life. Maybe I can trick Tony into believing there are a ton of things to do in one area and stay in one place for two nights. I've so wanted to sleep in but at B&Bs they want you up early and out.

We've seen so much that it is all becoming a blur. We pass castle ruins now and don't even flinch. We see mountains in the distance and don't feel the need to drive to them. I'm really glad I'm writing down the things we're seeing and trying to label the pictures I'm taking. I've already forgotten the names of places we've seen and been. Hopefully my future grandchildren will enjoy reading about the gypsy wanderings of their crazy grandparents!

No comments:

Post a Comment